Friday 25 February 2022

Quilt as you go (part 2)

All nine strips sewn on all nine squares, the layout of those strips dependant on the material available. I had to include some of the bits from the backing material to finish up which I had not originally intended to do.

The next step to trim the edges of those strips to make the neat square.




Folding the backing out of the way and trimming off those points. OK first time consuming mistake identified at this point. I had not really left enough hem room on that backing.  I had to re measure and unpick a little to turn back a better hem size. Well I guess if I do ever try this method again that is a mistake I won't repeat!


All those trimmed bits worried at my parsimonious side however, it was quite satisfying once all 64 had been completed and the fun part of arranging the squares into the top was in sight. Keeping in mind what the layout on the top would do on the back.

I had ended up with twelve light blue backed squares with one strip arrangement and eight with a different arrangement. The rest had the dark blue background but with two different strip arrangements.

This was the layout I had expected to use all laid out ready to number the squares when I thought I would try something different just to be sure. 



This was the alternate lay out. 


 I took pictures of both on my phone and flipped from one to another trying to decide which I liked  best. Each had its plus points.

I did make up my mind and number the squares so I could sew it up at home.

but I think that will be (part 3)

No comments: