Tuesday 22 February 2022

Quilt as you go (part 1)

 a new adventure due to a convergence of  circumstances.

Firstly a video on  a quilt as you got method from Teresa Down Under that my brain clicked with and I thought I could do that.

Secondly some wadding coming back to me that had originally been intended for a quilting project at Church but which had been cut to make snow edgings for a party.

Once the snow had been cut away so I was left with strips I would normally have sewn the strips together to make some usable wadding.  However, the new to me quilt as you go method starts with squares of batting and backing.

Perfect opportunity to give it a go.


So I cut squares, 64 squares in total from the wadding. I had initially thought that the dark blue material I had would be sufficient , that was not the case however I did have some light blue which made up the numbers.

The next stage is to cut strips and sew them onto the backing through the wadding, the quilt as you go part. 

I still had blue shirt fabric originally used  with the Young Women at Church and which I had thought to use with the Young Men when they showed an interest, that did not happen.

So this looked like a good time to use up that material. I thought that it would be a random placement of the strips. 

Random is harder than it sounds.

Random did not happen.


Random did not manage to stay in place even up to the first strip. Pinned ready to sew.


Three strips on. And I realised that I would be better off not counting. Counting was not my friend ...lets just add the strips and not think about how many more there were to do.

Many many lots (OK 9 strips per square and 64 squares =576 I know a lot less than some quilts but it felt like a lot.

1 comment:

Claudette497 said...

That looks so interesting! I've never heard of quilt as you go - I'm excited to see how it turns out!