Thursday 17 February 2022

BFF SAL 6 Being the Hare!

 if this had been a race (and previous comments and my BFF's post title to the contrary it wasn't) then I was the hare...and lost LOL.

I don't mind a bit, it gave my BFF such pleasure and as she has Covid 19 at the moment any jollification is worth it.

As to why I was not finished first and demonstrating my superior stitching speed (LOL my BFF's opinion) well because I was demonstrating how to deboraize a project. That is make it more complicated or embellished or indeed difficult than it needs to be.

In this instance that started with the sewing into a cone. I did not like the way they had it on the pattern. I felt it would make the back a bit messy and given I have added an extra parcel so the back view would not irritate me then well the back needed to be as neat as I could get it to be.

I have done coned figures before santa and Fairy and ignored the instructions there as well and opted for the turn inside out and do a seam just as if I was sewing ordinary fabric.

And yes just like turning the first BFF SAL biscornu the turning right way out after the sewing is not as easy as one would like, and certainly more time consuming. It does however make the extra large knitting needles I purchased come in handy.

My BFF whilst commenting that from the noised I was making it sounded like I was giving birth laughed at the part way, reasonably easy going point (before it became trickier) and was very firm that I stop and take pictures of the process to share.


No head at all at this point.


The emerged face looks less smiley and more of a sneer at this stage in the turning.

What I had forgotten when using this method was that a) the previous patterns had less of an angle to the cone so had been easier to turn b) that it would not give me a point at the top and c) there were only two snowflakes on the hat not three so trying to get a third to turn out was not going to happen.

For some reason I did not take a picture at the point I recalled the correct number of snowflakes and decided to settle for the amount of hat that had turned.

The kit came with a thin white and red cord to make a hanging loop.

On the pervious incarnations of coned figures I had followed that part of the pattern which would allow them to be used as hanging ornaments but as I have never done that, they have either stood on a shelf or gone on top of the tree I decided not to do that this time and then I thought a tassel would set off his hat.

So I made a tassel out of that cord bit and I do rather like the effect. As I was doing that I was thinking it was in part going to be something in common with my BFF as she had stated early on she was not going to bother with the loop as she was not making it as a bauble. By the time I was done and showing her my finish that theory took a knock (pop on over to her blog on this project and see why just CLICK HERE 

So here he is with his jaunty tasselled hat.



I do regret a little that this is a much sharper design and as such his hair does not frame his face as nicely finished as it did flat.

So I made little video to show him off  properly as the all rounder he is but all the videos on my blog have gone funny, something to do with automated abuse and wanting to check it is from real people! So I am taking them off. Some I have loaded to you tube where or when I can be bothered. This is not as yet one of them! Ah well.

So there he is all done, extra parcel and all and just in time for Christmas..well in plenty of time for Christmas this year anyway.

                                                                    The END ?

Well no not quite as noted by my BFF we did also manage to start BFF SAL 7  (no neither of us has completely finished BFF SAL 5 but we will have by Christmas) and as usual with no discussion before hand we are approaching it differently from the start.


This feels as if it will be a short project, hopefully just long enough for us to find something a bit larger and a bit more challenging and maybe with something new for one or both of us that we both like. That last criteria is the one we struggle with more then the others but hey we have managed it seven times so far so the eighth should not be beyond us. 

Always happy to consider suggestions, especially if the pattern is a legitimately free one LOL.


2 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Your elf looks fabulous! I did laugh at the headless photo first of all.
One tip - turn the TV off when recording videos! If there is music playing you could even get the video taken down for copyright reasons!
I like the idea of stitching cover kits, I collect so many and never stitch them. One year it was my resolution so maybe I should do it again.

Astrids dragon said...

He turned out fabulous, the tassel is a great final touch.
Funny photos on his transformation!