Sunday 21 April 2019

Free style creating from bits...

...I have previously mentioned being the happy recipient of bags of bits from another quilter.  Some large fat quarter size bits and some smaller bits.

Sometimes I just feel like sewing, not measuring or planning just sewing.  Most often that results in work on the current Bits-a-Quilt.

However, in this instance within the gifted fabric were some long thin strips so I started sewing them together, no plan in mind.  Some had a pattern on most were plain cream fabric.

First I was sewing the colours together, then as I sewed I began to think I might make a bag, and the cream was incorporated and a pattern developed.

Once I had sewn a big rectangle, I cut it in half, added a gusset with the cream, added a lining and handles (from the same material scraps) and the result.  Another Bag.

Cotton Shopping Bag


I am quite pleased with the result and what is more important, I very much enjoyed the process.

It was utterly relaxing as the lines did not have to be straight.

The seams did not have to be exact.

The size of the finished item well it would be whatever it turned out to be.

Oh and the lining, well it was made from some sheeting, it started life as a brown fitted sheet.  It was bought as a costume for a charity dress up at work.  The Nativity had been the plan, although puff ball outfits had not, there had been no flat sheets!

I got the sheets after the fact (with a head hole in the middle of each) and they have been living in the scrap bag.


What will I use the bag for? Not sure yet but I guess there will be something in a plastic bag that can be moved into a cloth one.  This bag, unlike the previous one doggy-bag made from gifted material, is mine I am keeping it.

It is not quilted (elephant bag and dragon bag) as some bags previously shared here were, however the seams, being quite numerous give it a padded sort of feeling.

There are still many bits and pieces of donated inspiration still to turn into a finished project, I hope using them up will be as much fun as this.

2 comments:

Roni said...

Nice! Sometimes it's lovely to do a 'just because' kind of thing

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That's a great bag, you can never have too many fabric bags!