and all ready to go up this, ah it still feels too early to mention it, its still summer, not even had Halloween or bonfire night yet but well you can tell just what season it is most likely to be displayed.
The stitching was finished last year, and I bought the magnetic poster hanger then intending to use that but I had not figured out how to finish off the edges and stiffen it so it would hang well.
A combination of things aligned to get me to the finish.
Firstly, the thought of a complementary colour behind the fabric enhancing the effect from the front previous used in The Twins samplers and The Dragons. Secondly the leftovers from the crafting at Church
A4 sized sheets of orange felt and lastly coming across the item needing some finishing off.
First step fix the few sequins I managed to melt with careless ironing. Then add the felt to the back, the colour through worked and it did indeed add sufficient stiffness but what to do with the sides?
Top and bottom are covered by the hanging frame.
Hmm perhaps ribbon, what did I have, I was thinking I might have something in either yellow or gold to reflect the ribbon on the cross stitch.
What caught my eye was some red and green ribbon with a touch of gold. There was exactly the right amount to sew down both sides and to make a faux hanging loop. I say faux as it is there simply to cover the string loop on the frame and add a little cohesion to the finish.
Any other "hoarders" or recyclers will fully understand my joy at being able to use up exactly the piece of ribbon I had. Nothing left over all used, bliss.

No comments:
Post a Comment