Friday 19 April 2024

Floating blocks an Illusion Quilt

 I have always liked the effect of this pattern and the way it can be used to emphasise the patterned pieces.

It always looked rather fiddly, and I was not sure what I might use.

Then along came TEMU and pretty sets of pre-cuts that sort of floated into my basket. 

I got a few sets of pink, because they were on the offer so very reasonably priced.  I tend to use the mental check mark of would I buy it at that price if I saw it in a charity shop? And if I answer yes then I get it.

I was fairly sure that my very local fabric supplier (in the instance AKA the stash in the loft) had some black and some shade of grey. Indeed that was the case. So following some simple instructions but measuring to the pre-cut blocks  I gave it a go.

It turned out to be less difficult that I had anticipated and even with my interpretation of a straight line I think it produced the desired optical illusion of the pink blocks floating above the grey.




It will join the blue Flimsy waiting for the next stage to becoming a quilt. And would I make this design again? Well I think so, and maybe sooner rather than later as there were a few pre-cuts that made there way into that virtual basket. I could even be tempted to cut up some of my fancy material that has been waiting for the right pattern to show it off, although that might wait till the next question receives an answer.

How to quilt them, well that still requires some contemplation. I shall bask in getting this far successfully for a little bit first. 

1 comment:

Arish said...

Me gusta mucho el efecto óptico de tus bloques, un buen trabajo. BESICOS.