Thursday 24 June 2021

Square peg, round hole

 not every time but often enough to make it a tad annoying.

When I started this blog I did say there would be a patchwork of crafts as things got tried and not just those hobbies that I do on a regular basis.

Now this is a small kit that I bought for my Dad for Fathers day. I thought he would enjoy it, I had images of a brand new hobby for him and already had my eye on the amazing creations of Ugears as the next stage if he enjoyed this one.

145 pieces this 3d wooden model Airplane. came as laser cut pieces in cardboard sheets. It came with instructions very small print and a small bit of sandpaper!

It is supposed to slot together, note the active word there is supposed. 


he made a start on his own and the body of the plane with seat for the pilot was completed with minimal use of the sandpaper. But the machine guns proved tricky. Yes machine guns...there was the square peg square hole and a square peg round hole and perhaps too little use of the sandpaper and a bit much muscle and crack, time for glue and a change to a joint project. Dad would do the popping out from the sheet the various pieces and sandpapering my smaller hands would deal with the putting together and the persuading when the joints were a bit tight.

But sandpaper was too slow. I figured a Dremel would be too fast and too much ah but I have a battery powered nail file..perfect! 

There were still tricky bits and I popped glue into some of the joins just to be on the safe side


and finished.

The propeller moves...


and is it a newly discovered hobby for either my father or I or jointly, Oh I don't think so. I will just enjoy watching the videos of other people doing them!

Now, according to my Dad it needs varnishing...by me...it may have to wait a little while for that to happen.

2 comments:

RONI said...

Wow!! That looks super cool, but I can only imagine how difficult it was!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That looks complicated but not as bad as the tiny metal kit of the Millenium Falcon I bought for my son one Christmas! We decided to stick with Lego after that!