Saturday 2 May 2020

Sunbonnet Sue number one.

made a start on the Sunbonnet Sues using scraps from the sampler quilt. As I have to match the templates to the available scraps and of course make sure that I am using them as frugally as possible (feel free to wander around my blog to see why that is a given) the colours are not fully planned out.

Still it is putting me in mind of paper dolls from my childhood, sorting out the little paper outfits and deciding what they would wear. I can't say I was as fascinated by them as some of my friends but they were a convenient craft / play item for taking places and keeping me amused when visiting relatives who's conversation was to me at that time uninteresting. I wish they were still here and I had the chance now to listen to their stories, ah the opportunities we miss..

Anyway here is my progress so far


I had planned on doing the boot black, but the scrap of black I had was too thick and too prone to fraying to use so I thought my fashionable Sue might have boots to match her jacket. The position of the boot is a bit off however a bit off is how it will stay.

How quickly we forget, it took me all of the boot and at least half of the skirt to get back into some sort of rhythm for the needle turning.

Mrs Jackson had not turned the hand on her example, I think the attempt for knuckle definition on the template is a bit ambitious so now I quite understand why she did not bother.

Oh the backing fabric is also form Mrs Jackson, there were four pieces in pink with tacked hems to prevent fraying and as they were just a nice size for the Sues that felt positively serendipitous.



2 comments:

Julie said...

She reminds me of a doll that i used to have. She had skirts made of oddments and a pretty bonnet.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

She looks so pretty, and serendipity is a wonderful thing!