Saturday 21 December 2019

My turn (pyrography)

for a little box.

This box was gifted to my by my BFF.

It is the second decorate it yourself box she has given me.  The first one, bigger and with the facility to add a material element, embroidery or cross stitch to the top is still waiting for just the right inspiration for it to hit.

This box has also been waiting, I had in my mind that I wanted there to be something on the little handle of the box, and that it should work handle up or down.  Thought about it had ideas, discarded them...then inspiration struck.

A verse from the bible, the insect that is the original meaning of my name as having access to a pyrography tool that would comfortably do what I wanted.






This is the box before varnishing..I had wondered about using some metallic pens in gold and sliver to add a little detail.  However I checked before using them and they were not comparable with the varnish (they ran) so just a straightforward varnishing job.

Found the varnishing on this a little frustrating, I was not getting the depth of shine even after several layers.

Then I had some sparkly silver nail varnish, And I wondered...abut those wings.  So I tested that with the varnish and...nope that did not work either!

Not full satisfied there was a pause................................a very long pause.

And..nothing. I have left it as is for the moment. Unusually for me I have not even added a lining, well not yet.

It is getting used as a place for my bee themed jewellery. At least it is getting used. 

It may get more done to it later, it may not.

2 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a lovely little box, I am glad that it is being used. Hopefully you'll decide on the perfect finishing technique!

Bethan said...

Lovely pyrography! Fingers crossed the perfect finishing technique is found soon x