Saturday 4 September 2021

Blackwork underskirt take two

first attempt unpicked time for a rethink. Something smaller but the question about regular or random. It is amazing how truly difficult random is to do.

So regular, did I try it out first or just do it..you know I just went for it. 

The new plan teeny tiny cross stiches at the point the squares in the Aida join.

And shading a little bit of shading with my teeny tiny cross stitches in three shades of grey. 

I did the darkest shade first, just  let it flow then the mid and the teeny bit of light.

I did it to binge watching The Watch on the BBC I Player . I like Terry Pratchet and have read all the Watch related books..and had to suspend 99% of that to watch the inspired by, variations on a theme, embellished version, an appropriate watching choice for my variations on a pattern stitching.


Much happier with this and so all of the fill is completed.

Well there is the hair. People have been waiting for the hair to take away the alien look of the Needlewoman.


and her gold needle of course, she had been looking for that needle for weeks and now she has it to hand.


If you visited earlier you may recall that I had a frame in mind and I extended the sides by two stitches and the top by twelve to fit in the mount which came with the frame.

Now that mount was just the paper one and I was quite OK with that in this instance. So ironed the piece and ready to frame, stretched it on a back card all ready and a draft of air into my work space and the paper mount wafted up, dropped down caught on the edge of the frame and ripped!

At least it was not the glass giving me grief (click here to link to my BFF's glass issue) but I did not have anything to hand to cut a fresh mount so it has just gone in "self" mounted. Maybe at a later date I will get some mount board and re-do. Maybe white as originally intended, perhaps black.

But at least she is framed and up on the wall and not languishing in the almost but not fully finished pile.



3 comments:

RONI said...

Yay, lovely to see her fully finished!

Colleen C said...

It's been wonderful following your progress. She looks fabulous in her frame, mount or no.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Your Blackwork Lady looks amazing! I don't actually think she needs a mount. I love the changes you have made and the beautiful in-fill designs you chose. The underskirt is just perfect!
I bet you could find some embroidery design outlines which you could turn into blackwork for companion pieces.