Sunday 25 July 2021

Dragon mold

 you may recall the little dragon mould my BFF gifted me CLICK HERE for LINK and I used it for chocolate an noted I would like to find something a little more lasting to do with it. 

I have been meaning for a long time to "do" something with the little slivers of soap that are awkwardly small but my parsimonious nature will not let me threw out. I had found one use for them but that did not take much , and I will come back to that later.

So I watched several methods or recycling soap slivers back into usable soap. Being me I chose a bit of advice from one and bits from another and cobbled them together.

So my method..chop the soap up very small (with a knife not scissors as one person suggested) soak over night with a little water. Boil it up in a pan (I did not used a ban marie) and pour into moulds.

I used six cupcake papers (supported in a tin) and a plastic tray from a microwave meal. And at the last moment I had a thought...dragon mould.

I popped the dragon mould into the fridge hoping it would cool down quickly enough that I could get it out of he mould and onto one of the "cup cake" bars of soap.




It came out reasonably well, not that it is going to last a great length of time but perhaps a bit longer then the chocolate one, at the very least I am not going to eat it.

The soap needs to dry out a bit before it can be used (the soap in the tray I popped in the freezer and that made it come out of the tray very easily, and have cut it into six)

Once dry I will wrap them in a little twist of grease proof paper and will use as needed.

So things I have learned, use less water. The boiling direct in a pan takes a lot less time than the You Tube peoples using the ban marie method said it would. Don't use the patterned cake cups the colour comes off onto the soap (well unless that's what you want to happen) and strangely I find finely chopping soap slivers rather therapeutic.

I am restraining myself at the moment from investigating full blown soap making and hope to restrict myself to the recycling only. 

1 comment:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a fabulous way to reuse old soap! The dragon looks great. We use liquid soap so not much fun here!