Wednesday 14 July 2021

BFF Sal 4 It's not you, its me

 a parting of the ways?

Happily not, it's actually both of us .

Let me explain, my BFF and I chose this pattern together, it was supposed to meet our desire for strong colour, no backstitch.  It was supposed to be fun.

This evening as I started with the green and about half an hour into the sewing I had to accept this pattern was not fun, worse than not fun it was becoming a chore. So I had to say to my friend I am not liking this at all, I hoped it would grow on me but the only thing that is growing is my dislike and reluctance to sew!

It was with some relief that she concurred and we realised we were of a like mind. We finished the thread we were on with and then stopped to discuss what to do.

There was a lot of work already done on each project and totally abandoning it felt wrong. However the prospect of finishing it did not appeal to either of us. 

I was trying to decide where I could crop the original pattern to an acceptable completable size.  Then  I fished out a washable marker and drew lines to mark out the edges of a cropped design. I have a curved top which reflects the shape of the original pattern.

This change has such an impact on the rest of the evening, it felt suddenly doable rather than stretching off into a sea of blue and green. The needle moved faster and the prospect of watching the design grow and how the cropped pieces would look and what we might do with them when finished was now interesting.

It was a weight lifted and had me feeling almost giddy and the rest of the sewing session was once more a pleasure and we happily discussed how we each had not been feeling good with this project yet kept going because it was joint project. All the frustrations we had been having and our joint relief that we had accepted than and had a plan, my friend did the numbers, I will leave that to her to tell you about. 

The funny thing is that the cropped size for my piece is slightly smaller the the folded back view my friend had of it last week when she was concerned my material was too small. Perhaps there was something prophetic in that.

So here is tonight's progress.


I allowed myself some of the pink in celebration and because I don't need to save it as relief from all the blue (that I won't now be doing).

And yes we are discussing what we will do when this is finished and whatever that is, its is going to be small!

CLICK HERE to visit my friends blog to see here progress for the evening.

1 comment:

RONI said...

Sooo happy with our redesigns!