Saturday, 10 October 2026

A beginning of a Fundraising event and hopefully

 a continuation of a path to better treatments or a cure.  There are many things in this life that feel unfair, sicknesses and illnesses that are cruel and take people away from us. 

Alzheimer's is one of those terrible, frightening illness.  I had an awareness of it but hade been fortunate that it did not impact directly on me. There was in 2007 the deep sorrow that a favourite author had been diagnosed when Terry Pratchett  made public his diagnosis.  Then a friend of my father's who I never met but would here stories of, Harry was also diagnosed and when walking his dog could only rely on the dog remembering the way home, it sounds funny but of course it is not.

It came a full step closer when a family friend I had known all of my life that I can recall was also diagnosed and for the first time I was present as his memories slipped away like water through his gripping hands. Pieces of his past and present flowing away. Before he forgot how to speak but a few words he would repeat the things he wanted most to hold onto. " I have a wife, her name is Anne, I have five children and their names over and over. We lost Martin in 2021 and he was a special person who should have had so many more years as a husband, father and grand father and friend.

It then moved right by my side when my own father was diagnosed and had his own struggles with its progression and loosing things that had been a part of him. His ability to drive, his bowling, being able to fix everything.  It was not this aliment that eventually took him from us, cancer beat it to that. He went before he forgot who we were, at times there is comfort in that, but it did take much of the quality of the time he had left and I resent that.

So this November I am going to do something I am good at, that my Dad both liked that I could do, when I made things for him or his friends or just that he liked, and was annoyed by when threads got all over the place and pins and needles were lost and invariably found by him! I am going to sew every day in November to try and raise funds for the Alzheimer's Research UK.  If you have visited before with me here you will understand why I am unlikely to  do much with the first two crafting methods shown below. 








This is the link to the none Facebook donation page. Click Here to go to donation page I will be posting as I go. Thank you for visiting and taking the time to read this. 

I will be starting on the 1st of November I think I will be doing little kits mostly, but I might add some WIP's and BFF SAL days in there as well. Pop back and see.


No comments:

Post a Comment