Saturday 17 April 2021

Size matters

 when you are trying to quilt on a domestic machine the throat size matters.

I have done a small free motion quilt before but this is my fist try at quilting something larger on the machine instead of by hand.

Now it is faster then by hand but not exactly fast! And the manoeuvring back and forward and round and through was quite a work out.

I knew that it would not be easy, and was not sure if it would go smoothly, to be honest I was rather nervous but this felt like the time to try.

Some bits were easier than others


some bits took more squishing and it felt like the throat on the machine had shrunk.


I thought it was going well, each time I did a quick check of the back it looked fine, it would appear that when I checked I only did so at the good bits, as once I finished  and looked at the back more closely there were some skipped stitches. I think I can deal with them. 

There are still a few sections (the patched sections) that need quilting and I am debating if I should do that by hand or try free motion.  

Oh in case you were wondering what the quilt top looks like click here for the original post

1 comment:

RONI said...

It does look remarkably small in the second picture! Looking forward to seeing the completed quilt some time.