Thursday 16 July 2020

Lock down SAL a finish

So I added a fine gold braid around the edge and not as intend buttons, what you say after mu post about the button tin, no buttons!

Well I don't just keep buttons in there, hooks and eyes and spare fancy bits for clothes and in this case apparently to gold beads of just the right size for the middles of my project.









As you can see I formed the braid into a loop as I have decided that this will be a Christmas ornament and it will join the other Christmas stitches.



It took me longer than I had anticipated, indeed I finished with only 15 mins left of our designated stitching time.  I don't mind, it was leisurely sewing, not too much chatting as my BFF was concentrating hard, that being said you may be wondering how stitching it up the right way went for my BFF, and what she intends for her Tulip biscornu by Durene Jones ( link to pattern location on Facebook.)   Follow this link to my BFF's blog and see .BLOG LINK (now this is a blog link not a post link today.

Now I must admit I was not sure about this project, what I would do with it when finished, but it was something different to try. Having done it, well I would not rule out doing another one, yet neither am I suddenly scouring the internet for further patterns.

Well at least you know our next BFF SAL won't be another biscornu.

(by the way I looked up biscornu and according to that much used online Font of all knowledge and I quote.

  "The name is derived from the French adjective, biscornu, meaning skewed, quirky or irregular.

Mathematically, two squares joined together in the pattern of a biscornu will form the boundary of a unique convex polyhedron, by Alexandrov's uniqueness theorem.[3] In the case of a biscornu, this polyhedron is a flattened square antiprism, with ten faces: two smaller squares (diagonally inset into the squares from which the shape is formed) and eight isosceles right triangles (the corners of its original squares) around the sides. However an actual biscornu will have a somewhat more rounded shape than this polyhedron."


Well there you go I am impressed with myself  for creating a slightly rounded flattened square antiprism, and I though I got some funny looks saying I was sewing a biscornu, wait till I say I made a square antiprism!




6 comments:

Roni said...

Yep, that was a hard 'stitch up' job... but it was worth it, they both look so good, and I did have so much fun stitching-along together. Looking forward to the b..... oh wait we're not telling are we??

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

Tease.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The biscornu looks lovely, very nicely finished. I like the idea of using the gold around the edge. A nice finishing touch.
I knew the word means "wonky" or "quirky" but I didn't know the geometric term for it.
Looking forward to seeing what you both stitch next.

Faith... said...

The beads are perfect! I would not have thought of that but it was very clever of you. I love the gold edging. Did you stitch it on? Well according to the definition it seems that the name Biscornu is perfect for these pieces.

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

The edging is couched on using invisible thread.

Astrids dragon said...

No matter what you call it, it turned out beautifully!