Sunday 19 April 2020

Easily distracted

as the sampler quilt is at the point the individual blocks need sizing (mostly up) this is my last chance to choose the  fabric to help make it more cohesive.  I figured that as I currently (things may change) intend to sash I better choose the sashing material as that would need to be considered.

I did have a very bright, bold in your face pink in mind that I bought in the early stages of the sampler, but I was less sure of that now.

So off up into the loft and the storage bag to pull out other candidates, other shades of pink and blue and even a grey. 

Now this is where the distraction comes in, that storage bag is full of various bits, from lots of places such as the now closed or relocated Northern textiles or material left over from past projects but still too large in my mind to be classed as scraps and of course bags of "do you want".

And I just have to look at it all, remind myself what is there, contemplate what I had considered making and when it comes to the bags well they may need a little reorganising, re assessing or even pulling out and doing something with.

In this instance two of the "do you want" bags came out of the loft, this first has already been the origin of two quilts finished and shared on my blog, Postage Stamp and Flower Quilt which were both gifted to ladies at Church. I vaguely recalled that there was some of the material used in both those quilts left and anticipated just gauging how much and what possibilities they held.

However, once I looked in the bag there was in addition to the expected material some finished hexis that I had forgotten about.  Made at the same time as those used for Flower Quilt they are in totally different material and colours so had not made it into that earlier quilt. There are less of theses hexis and I guess at the time they did not appeal, nor did doing anything more with that shape.



Now, well now they do, I can sit and stitch them together whilst watching TV with my mother, or chatting with my Mother is very appealing.





There wont be enough, not any where near enough to make a fully hexi quilt but a variation on the appliqué to a background I used for the previous hexis should work and I will decided on backing fabric and lay out once I have sewn together as many flowers as I can.




Oh fabric to go with a quilt, that's what I was originally looking for wasn't it! Well I was not so distracted that I did not get the sashing tentatively chosen, I went for one of the blues and am thinking the bright pink might well be the backing.  The book wants each block done separately as a quilt as you go, not so sure about that but no need to firm that up just yet as, sewing hexis for a bit first!

I was too distracted to take pictures of my options and final  choice so sharing what I picked will just have to wait till I have finished stitching hexis..well unless I get distracted.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Nice hexi's.
I'm having a go at making these for the first time, they are addictive.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great idea to have a simple project to sew right now. Stash-diving can be very distracting!!