Sunday 18 August 2019

Sampler quilt ..triangles

That is the heading of the next chapter, triangles.

And a method of sewing then that avoids having to cut or sew triangles.

You start with two rectangles, right sided together.

Mark on squares.

Mark the squares into triangles.

Then sew either side of the diagonal line.





Cut along the diagonal lines, then along the edges of the square 

and you get lots of triangles.


The blue lines are the stitches, you will notice on 14 of the triangles there is stitching on the pointy end.  You have to unpick that bit.  Still even with the unpicking this was certainly less fiddle than cutting 32 triangles and sewing them into 16 squares.

I used my charity shop find sewing machine to do this as it is quick to get out and put away if just doing a quick bit of stitching.

Now I have the squares of joined triangles I have to decide the layout.

Here are a few options...still thinking about it.

A

B

C

D

E

F


Once marked out the ease of making this makes me think it is a block I could repeat for a full quilt.  All the variations of the block there would be some interesting repeats or even combinations.

Feel free to comment which you prefer, I an not too struck on E but I quite like the others, and I am sure there are many more possibilities.


4 comments:

Luan said...

I can’t choose between b and c as I love them both ��

Roni said...

I think B just about tips it for me

Crafty said...

What size are the squares you drew?

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

The squares were 3 and 7/8 inches.