Saturday 10 August 2019

Its all smoke

                                   and half stitches.

Been awhile since I worked on this, a question raised about what constituted tweeding on one Facebook thread and another asking what direction a half stitch should go made me think of it.

On this pattern there is a lot of tweeding.  A strand each of two different colours in the needle at the same time. Another twist to that is for the smoke from the torches the bottom half of the stitch is one set of tweeded colours for the columns and the top half  another shade for the smoke.

Here it is with the bottom half of the stitches done.


And then with the top half to add the smoke.
It was soothing just "filling in" for a bit and not needing to count, just cross the stitch.




As the smoke clears the top of the buildings it changes to tweeded half stitches and I thought oh which way to do the half stitches.  In the direction of the bottom stitch or the top. Normally I go in the direction of the bottom thread for my half stitches.  Can't say I ever gave it much thought before, I just did it.

In this case, as the direction of the smoke was the direction of the top stitch I chose to stay with that direction for the half stitches of smoke.



Last for this update but not least here is how the whole piece so far is looking.



There is still smoke to do and after that perhaps I will be able to get geared up to start that bottom bit in the middle.

2 comments:

Astrids dragon said...

I didn't know it was called that! It looks great so far.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Oh wow, Teresa does like to make life complicated! It does look stunning though and well worth the time and effort.