This quilt came first in the show this year, of the two items I entered I had higher hopes of the bag. You never can second guess what the judges will prefer.
This another project that started out with squares I was given after a Church project faltered. (This was before the Quilting Group I facilitate started but it is one of the reasons I have been surprised the group has kept going).
The subtle colours of beige and light teal stripes did not initially inspire me. I was not attached to the squares and when asked to do an demonstration at Church I thought they were just the thing to use for quick nine patch bags that the ladies could try in an evening.
I made one bag up as an example and had the pieces for enough for the ladies attending. I rather liked the little bag and the effect turning the squares to alternate the direction of the stripes gave. Added to that I noted the material was quite soft and began to think I might make a quilt with the remaining squares.
Each time I was working on something else and had the sewing machine out I would stitch a few of the squares together. There were more squares than I had realised so the quilt grew.
I rather liked the sashing, particularly as the material used was left over from another project.
The inspiration for the quilting on the sashing came from the wonky-quilt. A similar arrangement of celtic knots.
I was less certain what to do in the squares, a knot over the stripes did not feel right.
My BFF proposed the solution, leaves. I liked that, she even supplied her light board to help transfer the extra size ivy leaf shapes into the squares.