Thursday 27 June 2013

Sharing obsessions in reverse order.(quilting)

I have over the years shared what I do with others.  I will no doubt go over some of those occurrences and the results at a later date. However, currently I am the guide to a quilting group at church and today is our one year anniversary.

In May last year I was asked if I would show the sisters (all female members of our church are referred to as sisters) how to make quilts.  I agreed to participate in a meeting once a month and so the quilting group was formed.  Our first meeting took place in June 2012, with the sisters bringing along fabric and raring to get started.

The participants all had different levels of sewing ability or experience.  After a quick discussion (and a bit of a show and tell of some of my finished quilts),  almost all opted to try nine patch patterns for baby quilts.  The exception is my best friend and as such she is already well steeped in my, now our obsession as she had a quilt already under way (whilst not a member of our church she joins us as a most welcome quilter). Although choosing the same basic pattern the different material choices resulted in quite different quilt designs.

The theme for the group, well what else would it be "not perfect, unique!" At Christmas I made pin cushions for all the group (myself included) using scraps from the quilts being made with our motto on the back and first initial on the front. The design is a logcabin variation generally know as either church or courthouse steps so it seemed appropriate for a church group.  They can be worn around the neck and have some very stiff material behind the sponge to prevent the user inadvertently pinning themselves

Pin Cusions
Church steps pin cushions


I will admit that I did not have high expectations for the group lasting past a meeting or two or even to the end of a project. Now, a year on, each of the original members have finished at least one project, from a quilted hot water bottle cover to baby quilts and lap quilts.  Some are onto their second or even third project. We are trying a new pattern out, postage stamp with strip piecing and our numbers have expanded by one.  Happy to remain small we have inspired a similar group to form at the branch of our church in a neighbouring town.

For our groups anniversary I made a little badge for us all with scissor charms. Here they are part way through making them.
Badges in the making. 

In addition I have a sewing box for the group to use,  and a felt needle case, both adorned with the group motto in the gold and blue colours of the church women's organisation Relief Society.  It will be a place to put the bits and bobs being donated to the group for shared use, and for those meetings where we forget to bring something vital, like a needle!

Sewing Box
Sewing box with needle case and the badges

Badges and needle case all wrapped up ready for the meeting.


In the first months I was kept quite busy each meeting, answering the sisters questions and offering solutions to the problems they encountered.  More recently, they need me much less and very soon I anticipate I will need to have my own project to work on.

Perhaps I should be thinking what we can do for our second anniversary, but for today, Happy Birthday Quilting Group.  

1 comment:

Roni said...

It was a very happy birthday party, long may the club continue, looking forward to the next one. I'm really enjoying sharing the obsession, creating new Quiltenstein Monsters - muhahahah!!!