we had planned this as our next project last week, indeed we managed an in person get together and Roni picked up a little piece of red felt so it would be to hand.
We did not realise that we would be working on this on International Dog Day.(which is 26th August, we will be blogging later than that as usual) I found out due to the little corgi icon in my search bar, Roni heard about it at work.
But realised or not here is our pick, the Scottie dog key ring cover kit.
I had considered adding some features to the wooden form with pyrography before doing the stitching but did not get around to it.
So made a start with the dark green, three strands for the cross stitch, then what the pattern described as dark red but looks more like a shade of pink to me.
Dark red done then it was onto the light red, hmm pinker red and the base for the tartan was done.
Onto the backstitch that would make it look like tartan. And here I had a silly thought. When doing a previous project on wood and using a felt backing I had used the backstitching to hold it down in the middle. However, I was forgetting that was just a little bit on the thread drop and just one strand.
This was different, more backstitch than you think when first looking at it, and not continuous flowing there and back lines.
The first line was in the cream and four strands. Not too bad going on, But the next one was more difficult and by the third I needed to use plyers to get sufficient grip on the needle at the angle I was trying to pull it through. Roni, made aware by my grumblings and the fetching of the plyers was a wiser woman than I.
I was still battling with my backstitch through the felt and she was all completely finished! I had the special dispensation this week to finish off screen time. So I did.
I would like to say that the struggle was worth it and the backstitch on the red felt gave a pleasing checky result, if not a tartan one. I would like to but to be honest can't. It might have somewhat worked if I had been able to keep the lines straight on the back and the stitch sizes consistent. I failed, and the result was not worth the extra effort. I had started so I had to finish, but on this occasion I think I should have kept it simple.
That being said, the tartan effect on the front, on the cross-stitch part well that worked very well indeed.
Last picture the finished keyring , placed on top of the illustration on the kit which being to size I find amusing.
The question of if this little tester of sewing tartan will lead me to trying anything similar is still being debated. It was done in one session and a bit (it would have been done easily inside the two hour mark if I had not made it awkward for myself) and stitching blocks was OK, but the back stitch, hmmm, but if not trying to do it on something with a exposed or semi exposed back, perhaps that would not be as irritating.
We are all set for next week and a bit of forward planning seasonally speaking.
If you reading this you are here before there is a link over to my BFF's update, as it was not there when I posted, it might be now so click on the link at the side of the page.






No comments:
Post a Comment