Saturday 25 March 2023

A wonderful journey

 from seeing the original design to being published which is always a lot of fun.

One of those designs that you like but are not sure what to do with when completed that sit in the back of your mind till the right moment or the realisation of the right person.

The original design is for a black silhouetted lady with a dress in one subtle colour. I wanted something personalised, and after all the designer had challenged the readers of the magazine to do just that with here design.  


I started with the hair,


I was already liking the style at this point even before I moved onto the focus of the design, the dress.

I went with a variegated thread. I had used this before on a Birth Sampler I designed and as I only had one skein there was an element of thread chicken, hoping that I could get it all done before the thread ran out. Happily there was just enough. 


I used a soft shinny silver for the shoes. Those shoes had been one of the reasons I started working on this design. The inspiration for my friend who loves shoes. I had looked at many a pattern that was just of fancy shoes but they did not reflect her stylish joy and exuberance the way this did.

I had in my mind a silver frame to go with those shoes, got to the shop and no silver frames of the right size. Thank goodness as the frame in the right size I think goes so well it was meant to be.


My friend popped by to collect it, and confirmed the frame choice was fated as it was a perfect match for the decor in the room it was destined to reside.



With her permission I sent her picture into the World of Cross Stitching (who had published the original design), that was back in May 2022. I joked she would be famous all around the world if it was published.  On Wednesday I remarked to my BFF it had been awhile and maybe they had enough versions of that design sent in and I should get around to doing a blog of it.

Today she sent me a message that catching up on her reading she had seen a familiar design..oh that's like the one Deborah did..oh..that's Luan! The picture had been published!

I had stopped subscribing a few months back (I need to catch up on the many to do projects) so I don't have a copy. It is 331 and last months rather than this. So my BFF sent Luan and I this picture of the article in situ.

Luan is quite excited to be published.

Feeling rather pleased about it myself. I may well be checking the shelves in the shops to see if there is a stray copy lingering.

As noted in the printed article the original design is from  WOC issue 304 (March 2021 in the UK) and is by Maria Diaz , who is also the designer of my featured cross stitch la-sacpigliata

(



 




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the proper skin tone more than the silhouette one, so glad it finally made it to the magazine.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I love your version! How nice to be in the magazine too. You can probably pick up a copy on eBay, there’s always loads going cheap which is why I don’t try sell my old mags!