Sunday 12 January 2020

Totaly fit for purpose....

Sometimes you have something in your stash that is quiet, it is just there waiting to be properly seen.

This bit of fabric arrived with other bits and pieces from my friend Nikita and I guess I did not look at it as closely as some of the others so the dog material the skinny bits were just that bit pushier and came forward for projects.

The others were waiting patiently in the bag for their moment to shine.

I was doing a bit of  random sorting, you know the kind pull out the material think oh yes I was going to make or ah I had forgotten about having that or in this case a second closer look at the detail on the design. (sorry as it was gifted scrappage I do not know the name of the design here, if anyone recognises it please provide details in the comments). 

The material



The first to catch my eye and set me thinking was the rainbow.

Rainbow


my BFF is very fond of rainbows, we would look for them on our walks or camping trips.


Perhaps something for her? That set me looking at the other motifs. I spotted one of her favourite beverages (not one of mine) but that was OK as I was thinking of a project for her.

Cup of tea


Then I saw one we do have in common and have shared on many, many an occasion, both joyful and sorrowful.  In celebration and commiseration, in this country and abroad.

But mostly just because we like to.

Hot Chocolate


Ice Cream
Another couple of our shared consumable items of interest. Yeah, ice cream. I prefer chocolate, she likes strawberry but we both agree on mint choc chip. Not sure that is the flavour represented here however it is an acceptable addition.

And cake, there has been more than a little shared cake, although the cakes being shared were not always little...the chocolate fudge cake in Dublin springs to mind.

Cake

Trips away, they get a little something to represent them too.









My friend might note that for most trips I am the one with the most luggage trying to be prepared for any contingency and weather variation.

Holidays


Although on that very first trip neither of us was prepared for the rain that came down so suddenly and so hard it bounced when it hit the ground so those drops that missed us on their way down got us on the way back up.













there are motifs for that too:








Our birthdays are fairly close together and before life got very busy we used to try and think of something different to do to celebrate together.

This motif reminds me of that.  Getting up at four in the morning to go on a dawn chorus walk. When we got back we sat on the couch for a moment whilst her husband (nice chap) went to make us a cup of hot chocolate and we fell asleep before the kettle boiled!








Then there are these two so perfectly fitting little images










this material had to be made into something for my friend and then more I realised it was so delightfully utterly
representative of both of us it needed to be made into something for us both.












Given the size of the bit of material there was really only one choice of what to make.




well not quite a handbag I am not quite up to a hand bag, but bags those I can manage.




gave one to my friend



with the joy of shared memories of


using this bit of material up was so much fun as it brought back so may memories.

There are other little motifs and as I see them they bring back other memories or make me think of how my friend and I are similar and also how we are different.










1 comment:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a charming post! It's lovely to see all those shared memories and the bags you've made from them.