Friday 12 November 2021

A passing thought

 that might have stayed that way but for a spurt of sorting.

The thought that had been in my head relates to the a-little-finish-bff-4 and what else might find its way onto the window sill.

Little books, I like books so that was a pleasing thought.  I had been checking out the toy sections in the charity shops and the bric-a-brak  in the hopes of spotting something of the right size to buy but as usual once you are looking for something in particular there is nothing there.

I did consider making a little pile of books from DAS but I was not convinced that the result would look right.

Then I was doing a bit of sorting and came across my 2018 mini diary (LOL no its not that mini that it could be used) and I decided to pull it apart so the paper components could go into the recycling bin.

As I did the cover peeled away in one piece and set me thinking.


It was quite soft, flexible and already had a fold for the spine. And the colour would pick up the pinks in the cross stitch. Hmmm. Mulled a bit and then thought might be able to make two. 

Initially I was thinking closed books, well a bit of cardboard wrapped with the diary cover that would look like books to put on my little window sill. 

However, whilst I was contemplating that I got to Deborahizing (as my BFF calls making things more complicated or embellished or time consuming than you have to) and wondering could I make proper little books with pages. Nah! well maybe ? Ok lets give it a go!

First step cut out the covers so I know what size I am going to be working to.


I could have made more than two from the stuff available but settled on the two.  And whilst my intention was to have then the same size as usual my measuring is not a strength and they turned out slightly unique!

Next step see if the edges would turn down and would double sided sticky tape be strong enough to hold them down?



 Yes and yes..looking promising. Even managed to get mitered corners, with the help of some nail clippers.

So the pages, I have some very thin paper. Copy paper in fact. The kind you used in a typewriter with a sheet of carbon paper so you could produce a copy of your letter as you typed it. So it is quite old.

So cutting rectangles, I have a sliding blade paper cutter so I used that (although trimming later was done with scissors) 


Rectangles cut, and then folded. Put together in sets sewn together and then sew the sets. 



More double sided sticky tape and in go the pages.




and I have two little books.



to pop on my windowsill . Of course as with their much bigger cousin BFF SAL 3 the problem now becomes what do I write in them!


And of course my BFF has many an idea for other windowsill items and so far she is out Deborahizing even me with those suggestions.

click here to see how my BFF framed her version of this piece.

2 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What an inspired idea! I think Jocondine needs to read this post. She is very clever at making things too.

jocondine said...

And here I am! Funny! Love your tiny books, I made some with old agenda covers I kept in many colors from my office. I was glad to be able to use them to make a small school bag for a fabric doll. I used the same paper from my old office days to make Harry Potter books for Christmas ornies for my SiL. Deborahizing looks familiar to me, glad to add this new word to my vocabulary. Great post and nice visit. Amicalement. xxx