Saturday 21 September 2019

Sampler Quilt needle turn aplique

This was a bit scary, the book said to have a seam allowance of  1/8 inch.

What! I have only just got used to the quarter inch stitch that the book calls for in the other patterns.  My safety net is a half inch seam allowance (try not to shout or tut too much at that, each to their own) so this was a bit of a shock.

I read and read the instructions in the book on this method,  left it, went back and read it again and nope just not going in.  Time to turn to the internet and you tube. 

First video Shiny Happy World Dot Com  there is an advert before it starts but you do get the option to skip the advert. On this one it starts straight in on the needle turning.  Other ones I found start much earlier in the process  with  marking out and cutting the shape before getting to the stitching part, some took a good nine and a half minuets to get to the sewing method.  After I watched this a time or two I thought I had it in my head.

Then foolishly thinking to reinforce it I watched another, and it looked a different sewing method mind it had a good technique for points., nice sharp points on stars.Cathy Van Bruggen Designs.

I note both of these, and others that I looked at but have not put in a link for as they took soooo long or were not as easy to watch, had much wider seams.  Mine are cut larger than recommended (too scary) apart from the sections where the edges of the pattern do not allow for anything but almost nothing!

So first to practice the stitch on something other than my block, a scrap on a scrap and see how I get on.  And if I get the hang of it, well lets be honest, if it feels reasonable, I will then move onto my block.

One of the videos I viewed suggested a heart made a good practice shape as it has curves, outward and inward points so that is what I used .



The points turned out better than the curves and there were some other issues however I did feel I could make a start on the block itself.


No comments: