Friday 13 September 2019

Sampler quilt - Hawaiian Applique

Crocus Design.

At least that is the chapter heading for this block.  Not the next in the book, the next one was Stained Glass Patchwork - Tulip block.  It required bias binding to make the leaded part of the stain glass.  After some consideration I am skipping that one.  I don't feel like making the bias binding or buying a tool to make it.  I expect I won't go back to it and will replace it with something else that is new.

Anyway back to this one, it is based on a particular style but the author diverges from the traditional in both the use of a patterned fabric instead of a solid and the design which she has based on a flower that grows in England rather than the more tropical.  Mind she does note many have told her it looks more like a tulip than a crocus.

I did consider using the technique to make a pattern of my own  however as I was skipping to this pattern on the grounds of ease complicating it trying to come up with a design of my own did not feel right.

This is it tacked to the backing , it is waiting for edges to be hemmed and at the same time to be sewn to the backing square.  That should sharpen the image.

Crocus pattern?

At the moment, pre-hemming it feels a bit too much of the centre colour  and I am considering the possibility of adding a circle to the middle of a different colour (more deviations from the source style) but I will wait till the hemming is done to decide if that is needed either for this block or for the quilt overall.

No comments: