My friend gave me a kit for making a bird ornament, I think it came with something free and did not appeal to her. I am as previously noted the happy recipient of such largess.
I have not used the kit bits, rather I traced out the pieces and cut them from a piece of material I have. The material is intended for a bigger project that requires the use of pastel dye. So I thought I would do a test piece. I did not want to do nothing with the bit of material I would be testing so decided to make the bird using material coloured in with the pastel dye sticks.
|A birds Eye view|
The original pattern called for a ribbon to be attached to the bird so it would hang up. I had already modified the design by quilting the breast feathers (which on stuffing the bird has not shown too well ) and the wings.
Just before I started sewing him up I decided he should have legs instead of a ribbon.
|Bird on a wire (legs that is)|
I made them from the wire from a used pad of A4 paper. Three strands twisted together, with the feet at each end of a U shape to form the feet. I am quite pleased with the way they sewed into the original body shape without me needing to add a gusset.
He looks rather friendly perched on my hand but not stable enough to stand on a display table at the local show, so I went for a walk and came home with some bits of wood left from the damage to local trees from the high winds.
Nice and dry after all this sun. Slapped on a coat of varnish (just the one so that the difference between the inner wood and the bark would show) and Little Bird has a permanent perch.
So he will be entered in the "animal any medium" class at the show. They are not biologically picky with the definition of animal so a bird will be fine.