Wednesday 1 December 2021

Advent Calendar 2021 day 1

 Oh this year I have the first door and the first day in the Advent Calendar hosted by Jo over at serendipitous stitching

For those of you new to the advent, each participating blogger is assigned a day, asked to post a picture of something Christmas themed and answer a question. Click here for the link to previous years advents and hops

So I shall start with a little bit of Christmas themed stitching with this tinsel adorned cat by Durene Jones, aptly named Christmas cat.


And this years question, tell us about your tree.  Well for many years our tree was a very old (even older now, it must be over 80 ) tree with a little wooden base, fold down branches that even had little clasps to hold candles. We always hung glass fish with bristle tails from the bottom branches.  Unusual and I have never seen any others, I asked my mother about them and she said that they had not always had a tree, when she was young they had a wind bush that hung from the ceiling and the fish hung from that. (I will try and add pictures of the fish later if you are curious and want to pop back on 24th).they are also rather old and fragile and have a rest some years.

Now we still have that tree, but after years and years of enthusiastic folding and unfolding the branches are not as securely held as once they were.  we had a few years with a fibre optic tree but getting the bulb replaced when it wore out was not successful, and too may bendings to fit it into the box was making it rather lopsided.

As the years have passed something smaller and simpler has become the norm, and lights have joined the decorations both old, handmade and each year at least one thing that is new.  I no longer attempt to put everything we have on there every year.  Sometimes we have a colour theme sometimes not.

The top used to be a star, but recently it has been a cross stitched Fairy, and last year the elves perched up the top as well.

Now I am adding a picture of our tree from last year with the lights as well this years tree is still in the loft and that is where it will stay till Christmas Eve as traditionally in our home we do not decorate until then (other than my Christmas Embroideries which go up today). (maybe I will pop back on 24th an update with this years alongside the fishes)





Yes those are hoops in the background , quilting hoops not cross stitch.

Don't forget tomorrow to go over to serendipitous stitching for the link to door 2.

I wish you all the joys of the season and that all your Christmas preparations will be complete in time for you to relax and enjoy the day.

The countdown has begun!














For those popping back  to see fish here they are.

I don't know what the box they originally came in looked like.

This is the box that they have been kept in as long as I can recall.


Here they are in the box.


Alongside glass trumpets and horns (they made a sound when I was little but over enthusiastic blowing ruptured the papers and they are silent now).

They have not gone on the tree this year but this is what they look like as they spin, as I was making the little videos I could hear a particular tune in my head and it was not a Christmas one.


 

And not quite last this years tree, more lights and a silver and gold theme not for any design reason but because I have a cold and they were the easiest to reach as the little ones are the new to us this year baubles.


And on the top, well this year it is a bow, for my brother however it is a fairy, a mouse fairy, a once was a real mouse now a tree topper mouse fairy as there is a taxidermist in his wife's family.



17 comments:

jocondine said...

Happy to open this first advent calendar door, great to visit you. Lovely stitching and nice tree, I will be back on the 24th to read more stories and see the new photos. Joyeux Noël ! Nadine.

Unknown said...

Lovely history! Merry Xmas hope from Day one it will be a good one!

Unknown said...

Unknown above us me

Mylene said...

A cute stitched design by Durene. Love her designs.
I am new on this advent calendar..looking forward to visit everyone's blog.
Happy holidays!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for opening up the Advent Calendar for us this year! Love that cat, very appropriate for decorating the tree.
We also had some very old and delicate ornaments when I was growing up but I don't recall any in the shape of fish! I shall look forward to seeing your tree and the fish later this month.

Mary's Thread said...

I love your little tree and I am very intrigued by these fish! Also your cat stitch is adorable! Happy Advent!

Shelly said...

I would love to see the fish! I don't blame you for giving them a rest. I enjoyed your story and your tree looks so merry. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

FlashinScissors said...

Hi, I’ve been away from blogging this year, and am aiming to return for Jo’s Advent hop.

I love your cat cross stitch, it’s very pretty. It was nice to read about your trees and I will be very interested to see your unusual glass fish, I’ve never seen any on a Christmas tree before.

Happy Advent!

Barbara x

Astrids dragon said...

Awe, a very sweet cat, getting into mischief!
Last year's tree looks lovely and I hope you do post your older tree, that would be nice to see.
Happy Christmas!

Elfie said...

I have enjoyed my visit. It was intetesting to read your story. I will come back on 24th hoping to see your fish and tree. Merry Christmas!

RONI said...

I love the cat, they're often so aloof and composed, but the chaos of this little one appeals to me!

http://thankfullga447 said...

Such a cute cat and love your backstitching.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Your Christmas cat stitch is cute. I like the effect of the lights in the photo of your tree. Thank you for sharing your Christmas tree memories.

Beth in IL said...

The cat is adorable, but I especially loved the story about your tree! Thanks for sharing.

Denise :) said...

Your kitty cat ornament is adorable! What a great story/memory about your tree! It's really lovely and I'm sure it's a joy to put it out and decorate it each year! :)

gracie said...

Love your tree. The cat is sweet as are all Durene's patterns.
Merry Christmas from door #16

Leonore Winterer said...

Thanks for sharing your tree and traditions with us - love the story of the fish!