Sunday 5 December 2021

A simple quilting sequence



 at least that is what the nice video promised when I saw it . Simple curves sewin in a set order from side to side starting at one end and moving to the other and making a four petal flower.

I thought I would give it a try. I drew it out, and out and out again to get it in my head. Lap size I thought for a try and whole cloth so there would not be seams to interrupt the flow. 

I had been planning on making a couple of lap size quilts with patterned edges and appliques. So I thought some more and decided to do the appliques afterwards needle turn.


  So this is it quilted on the sewing machine. I will admit that the curves which appears to want to happen when I am sewing a straight line are much more reluctant to cooperate when I want a curve. Typical. Anyway it went reasonably well for a first try.

You may (if you have visited before and if not Click here and here ) recognise the material from the edge. I am still using up bits. Bits are inspiring. Big bits small bits, oddly shaped bits.


These are off cuts from making blouses (not me I don't do clothing sewing) and the shape made me think of petals.  


Planning on green middles, I hemmed the first one, but the fit was tricky that way, I did not tack hem the others just stitched them in. 



Pinned on and ready to sew





I am still enjoying needle turning as a method.

And here it is finished and label added and all ready to be gifted. I wonder if you can guess the name of the intended recipient.






Oh yes how the sequence works, I can not recall where I saw it originally (if I come across it again I will add it as a link) but this is my best go at showing how it works. Start at 1 and move across doing the single loops. From 2 drop down a row and do 3 loops as you move across. Repeat till you have done all the horizontal rows then the single loop up the side back to the start to finish off.


Try it out on paper a few times to get the flow of it. Drawing that out on the draw and edit function was almost more tricky than sewing it!

3 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely quilting and a great way to use your scraps and offcuts too.

RONI said...

Nice! Good explanation, much easier to make sense of in all the pretty colours too!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely flowers, and great quilting!