Monday 24 April 2017

Sampler quilt All around the world.

Block four of the sampler quilt.  Had a bit of a pause between this and the third block.  Contemplating the colours.  Well more hoping the bit of dark blue I had left from the Maple Leaf stem would be big enough to use in this block and getting around to measuring it in case I was wrong.

I was also trying to think of a way of doing it without having to cut and sew all those little squares.  As you can see by my cut bits below my brain was not up to it!


Cut out, then comes laying out the design.  I wanted the bit of dark fabric in the middle to add some link to the Maple leaf (and as far as I can see this was the only pattern the tiny bit I had left could possibly fit in)

All around the world block
No matter how many quilts I make the shrinkage which results due to seam allowance is always fascinating.  It is often an issue at quilting group when those new to the craft look at a lay out and worry it is far to big...whilst I am oft wondering if it will be big enough. 

This picture with some of the squares joined into strips and the rest unsewn demonstrates the effect of seam allowance on size.

Seam reduction

Although the sewn strips have not been pressed yet so are not lying flat.


Around the world sewn strips

All the strips sewn time to get the block finished and see how well the squares line up.

All around the world sampler quilt
Around the world block

Well, there are as usual some unique bits but it is not too bad.

And as a block what do I think of it.  Not enamoured of it.  I think I prefer the randomness and the ease of strip piecing in a postage-stamp quilt to this.

Next...Card Trick and as the colour choice is an important part of the visual impact of this block, I may well be doing some contemplation before moving on.

And if you are wondering about my friend joining me, well take a look at her blog, life outside the washing basket (link on the right) and you will see it may be a block or two yet. Although once she gets started I have no doubt she will catch up fast.

Oh and I just noticed, this is my 300th post on this blog.

No comments: